Saturday, January 30, 2010

Distance PR

Today I ran 16 miles on my treadmill. Previously, the furthest I ever ran on a treadmill was 14 miles, so this is a PR!

I watched the forecast all week and I knew the weather was not looking good for my weekend runs. Because of this, I ran my Tuesday 8-miler outside, in case I didn't get outside on Friday (I try to run at least 2 times per week outside.). This was a smart move because yesterday after work, it was FREEZING! I had to do a coat of paint on the baseboard and I usually run quicker on the treadmill, so I did my 8-mile pace run inside. I had it on 7.5 speed 1 % incline( 8 min. mile) for about 6 miles, then dropped it down to about 7.3 for the last two. I started to feel a little lightheaded, so I thought I better move it down a notch. I have to remember that as I increase my mileage, I need to increase my calories.

I woke up this morning, and it was 5 degrees! I learned my lesson after my last long run in 12 degrees, so I knew it was going to be a treadmill run. I would have been ok if i was only heading out for an hour, but for 2.5, it would have been stupid to run outside. I would have been miserable the whole time. Plus, my body would have had to work even harder to keep warm, I knew I would get a better quality workout on my treadmill (can you tell I am justifying it to myself!).

I got my G2 gatorade, water, and sweedish fish (When I am running that far, I need to think about fuel, or I will get lightheaded, but I don't like to do GU or Powerbar Gel until I get to 19 or 20...I have no logic for this other than mental reasons.). I rented Julie and Julia, so I was occupied for the first two hours. It was an ok movie, but nothing great. The run was uneventful until Dewey (my mother-in-law's Gordon Setter, whom we are dogsitting) decided to try to jump on the treadmill with me. Well, he freaked out and got scared, as did I. As if once wasn't enough, he tried it again! He's very loveable, but I do question his intelligence at times!

After the movie was over, I still had two miles. I found Platinum Weddings on TV and watched that for a bit. I kept the treadmill at 7.0 speed with 1 % incline for 14 miles, then cranked it up to 7.3 2% incline for the last two just to tire my legs out a bit. I usually like to run the last few miles of my long runs faster, so my legs learn to respond when they are tired. I felt great and don't even feel that tired now!

One problem that I always have and no matter what I try, I just can't solve, is my hair. No matter what I do, it is always a tangled mess when I finish my long runs. It hasn't been bad lately because I don't sweat that much when it is cold, but today, I was reminded of my problem. I can't wear it in a regular ponytail because of the bouncing, it gets tangled as it swings back and forth. I braid it, but my hair is on the thin side, so it falls out of a braid rather easily. Today I pulled it into a pony tail and put a pony tail holder towards the bottom and that second elastic fell out as I was running. The problem is that I sweat from the crown of my head where my pony tail elastic is. Then, the thick clump of hair at the top of my ponytail gets matted and the knots work their way downward, if that makes sense. I have tried everything! Buns, loops, braids, and sweatbands all don't work. I have to spend my shower wrestling with the knots in my hair! So if anyone has any more ideas, please share because it is beyond frustrating!

On a personal note...my cousin, Amy had her baby on Wednesday! She had a hell of a labor, and ended up having a C-section. The baby looks beautiful, and they named her Abby. I can't wait to meet her in person! I also hope Amy has a quick recovery because I know she is dying to get back into shape and get running!

Also...carpeting for the basement is coming on Monday. Then, our new furniture is coming on Thursday. We are having a few people over for Super Bowl Sunday to enjoy it. I can't wait because this has been consuming our lives forever! Poor Aaron has been working his butt off. He has always worked alot for his job, but for the last few months, he has been working in our basement until 10:00 at night after work. Some times, he gets up at 6 and works for an hour and a half before he goes to actual work. I can't wait to get my husband back and be able to do things together again! Plus, I will have help around the house because I have been doing all of the cooking and cleaning myself. I will post pictues as soon as I can!

Week 8 Schedule
Monday: 4 miles
Tuesday: 8 miles
Wednesday: 40 min. tempo. 5 min. warm up, 30 minutes at 7:40 pace, and 5 min. cool down. This will probably be about 5 miles.
Friday: 8 miles (not pace)
Saturday: 17 miles
Total: 42 miles

Also...I hit 150 miles for January!

Here is my Week 8 Schedule

No comments:

Post a Comment