Sunday, March 28, 2010

Taper time!

I just capped off a 55 mile week and I feel awesome! Friday....10 mile pace run at 8:19 and Saturday 20 mile long run at 8:58...enough said! I am right where I want to be and I have been running really well. You can never predict what is going to happen during a marathon because so many things are out of your control, but I have had a great, pretty healthy training cycle. Granted, I still feel exhausted over 24 hours after my 20 yesterday, but it is now taper time.

Of course, I couldn't have good weather for my 20-miler. It was 20 degrees when I woke up, so i dressed for winter. I headed up to the levee since isn't supposed to be gusty, and it was fine. I ran my levee route and headed to Wilkes Barre. I decided to head down Riverside Drive to see the nice houses, which coincidentally is a block away from where I lived during my college years. Low and behold, I spotted an opening to the levee. I started running, and it was a whole new levee that I never experienced! It was a great scenic run. I never realized that there was a paved levee on that part of the river. I ran all the way to the end which ended up being 11 miles into my run. I was a little nervous because there was literally noone around and it was a very desolate area, but that is just me being paranoid. On my way back, I stopped at Wilkes U's student union building to use the bathroom and fill up my handheld. I figured between the tuition I paid for my bachelor's and master's, they owed me a pit stop!

On my way back, I struggled a little. 20 miles is a long way no matter the shape that you are in. As I was running through Kirby Park, I watched a Ultimate Frisbee tournament, and I was so engrossed, that I ran off the path. Haha.... I don't think anyone noticed.

So here I am, 3 weeks from Boston. I think my goal is going to be to beat my Steamtown time of 3:37. If I don't, I really don't care. I want to enjoy the race and take it all in. I am super excited to go and experience all that Boston has to offer. I want to do all the touristy things and have a good time. I just need to stay injury free for the next three weeks, which hopefully, won't be a problem.

On another note...my new shoes suck! They have been okay on the shorter runs, but after my 20, I have a big blister on my pinkie toe. Also, several of my toenails hurt. I have yet to lose a toenail through 4 training cycles, and I don't intend to start now. I think I may be wearing my old shoes for the actual marathon, once I get them cleaned up a bit.

Here is Week 16 Schedule:

Monday: 5 miles
Tuesday: 8 miles
Wednesday: 6 x hill or 5 miles depending on my mood. I may move this run to Thursday since we have a happy hour after work on Wed. and I am off for Easter Break on Thursday.
Friday: 4 mile pace
Saturday: 12 miles
Total: 34 miles

No comments:

Post a Comment