Sunday, April 17, 2011

Harvey's Lake 8.2 Miler

I decided to do this race as a tune-up for the St. Luke's Half Marathon in two weeks. I thought it would let me know where my speed and fitness was. Overall, I am pretty happy with how I did. I was aiming for 8:00 pace, and according to Garmin, I did 7:47.

First, the weather forecast was horrible. It was supposed to be rainy, windy, and cold. I made arrangements for my mother-in-law to watch Caden, as Aaron wanted to come and see me race for the first time in awhile, and it was much too cold to bring him. I woke up on Saturday morning and I went outside and it wasn't that bad out! The temperature wasn't bad, and it wasn't raining! I decided to wear a tech t-shirt, a tech-long sleeve t, and a wind breaker. I didn't think it was cold enough for Under Armour, so I just wore black breathable pants. I brought a baseball hat in case it started to rain.

This race is about 10 miles from my house. It was around a big lake that is pretty popular around here. Our friend actually just bought a lake house there, so we will probably be spending some time there this summer. I anticipated this being a big race since it is a scenic, flat route. Apparently it used to be a big local race (before I got into running) and they stopped holding it. Many people were excited that it was back. Aaron and I got to the lake pretty early since they advertised that parking would be tough. I got my packet. I was kind of disappointed. The race cost $25 and we just got a cheap cotton T-shirt. I was happy it was teal, but it was still cotton! Well, once we got to the lake...it was COLD! You would think I know how to dress by now...nope! I didn't have gloves with me and I should have brought something for my ears. I couldn't wear my baseball hat because of the wind (it was my nice Boston Marathon hat that I forgot I had, and I wasn't going to risk losing it).

The race start was strange. We were lining up and all of a sudden, people started running, I didn't hear a gun, horn, or even a "go!". I hit my watch and took off. As usual, I took off too fast. I felt really good. In fact, I think I ran a really good 5k! BUT....this was an 8-mile race. I hung with my uncle for the first 3 miles, then he took off and I knew I didn't have the endurance to go ahead. I tried to keep my pace up, but around mile 4, one lady passed me. Mile 5, another did, Mile 6 another, and that's pretty much how it went! I think my speed is back, and I just need to work on my endurance. When these ladies passed me, I thought, go for it because I can't hang! I just did my best and I did better than I thought! I finished less than a minute behind my uncle, so I held my own!

When the race was over, I looked at the board, and I didn't think I was going to place. I was 11th Woman Overall, and most ahead of me were in their 30s. I always like to stick around for the awards to clap for the people who did place, and surprisingly they did a 26-30 age group! I ended up getting 2nd. I usually beat the woman who won, but it goes to show that my endurance is lacking. She passed me right at the end and there wasn't a thing I could do about it! Regardless, I lucked out winning a medal, and I am happy with my time. I'm not sure of my official time, but Garmin has me at: 64:09

My splits
Mile 1: 7:07 (you would think I would know by now!)
Mile 2: 7:24 (still too fast for my fitness)
Mile 3: 7:36 (this would be nice if I could hold on to this pace)
Mile 4: 7:42 (Hmm...I'm seeing a trend here)
Mile 5: 7:50
Mile 6: 7:51
Mile 7: 7:50
Mile 8: 7:51
Garmin has .25: 6:39 pace...at least I picked it up for a quarter mile!

Overall....not a bad race for someone who just gave birth 3 months ago. I tend to be hard on myself, but I beat alot of people! I'm not where I want to be yet, but I'm getting there. I honestly don't know if I have a 1:45 half in me now, but I am going to try. Like I said before, I have no plan, so I'm going to attempt a taper. I have no clue what I'm doing with half training, but we'll see. Either way, I should be proud I am out there and doing it!

And....on a side note....I am not lucky that I lost my baby weight...except for 3 lbs...I bust my butt!

Here is Caden on his 3-month bday with my hardware!

3 comments:

  1. Congrats on a great race! Good luck with your half! I'm running my first marathon post baby in 11 days...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! Good luck with your marathon...it looks like you are well-prepared for it. I'll keep my fingers crossed for good running weather!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You should be so proud of yourself. It seems like you really do bust your butt, and that is awesome.

    ReplyDelete